Thursday, May 26, 2011

If there's one thing I learned from watching the Biggest Loser

It's not to complain to your trainer about how hard things are, how much you hurt, etc.

Case in point: I met Tina at 9AM yesterday morning for our first one on one session. She made me warm up on the elliptical for 10 minutes, and then put me through 4 minute circuits of various cardio (butt kicks, high knees, wall jumps) and strength (turtles, pelvic tilts, planks) moves. It went like this: 20 seconds on, 10 second rest for four minutes, and at the end of the four minutes, we moved from a cardio move to a strength move. The first, oh, ten minutes of this wasn't bad. Then she told me to do burpees. How do I put this?

Oh, HELL no. Tuesday's boot camp had me doing so many burpees, that I just couldn't do them. And while Tina agreed that burpees were the creation of the devil himself, she made me do a modified version of them anyhow.

While doing various moves, we chatted, she sipped water and watched while I sweated. She told me that I had good form, and I told her that I thought she was a liar (jokingly... maybe). Later on in the workout, she told me that she's glad that I wasn't a complainer, and that other people would flat out refuse to do things other than ask for an alternative, and by not complaining, she knew that I was here to work.

Uh, no. I've watched Biggest Loser for long enough to know that if you complain to your trainer about how you hurt, THEY WILL HURT YOU MORE. Out of love, of course :)

Towards the end of the workout, I was dying. I honestly never sweat so much before. The last 4 minutes was me alternating wall jumps for 20 seconds, rest for 10, plank for 20, rest for 10, back to wall jumps. That's when she totally caught me slacking and said "three, two, one does not mean STOP! If you do not hold this plank for the next 20 seconds, you'll have to do two more minutes." Needless to say, I held onto that plank in perfect form for dear life, past her count of "3, 2, 1" until she said, okay you're done.

That Tina is a beast. I have a huge bruise on my right knee (I'm guessing from those damned burpees), my whole body is sore (but mostly my glutes and hamstrings), and... I'm going back for more. Another boot camp class tonight, although Tina, not Frog Man will be leading it.

Pray that I can walk tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment